Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Bluebonnet's Honeybee Spinning Wheel- First Impression



Hello,
I was a busy Bee this weekend oh the puns have begin! I ran some errands ...as quick as I could so I could get to put the finish on my new BlueBonnet HoneyBee Spinning wheel.  I would like to share my first impression with you. I HAVE NEVER OWNED OR PRACTICED ON A SPINNING WHEEL.
Source: Etsy

Why buy a wheel?
I wanted one.
I love to create things.
When I learned to knit I watched podcasts where knitting and spinning were discussed.  I thought wow I could create my own yarn and then finish a project...COOL. That was about 2 years ago.  I owned fiber already as I had had a few drop spindles from a fiber club I was apart of in 2011-2012.

Why a wheel Bluebonnet Spinning Wheel?
I was scouring the internet looking for a used wheel.  I heart used goods.  I first checked craigslist.  I found a Louet S15 for $275 but I couldn't find any information on it.  So I looked for brands I knew and had heard of Ladybug, Matchless....hmm I don't want to spend that much I thought.  I went to my favorite site, ETSY.  If you are not familiar its a site for all handmade goods, products, supplies and vintage items....I saw Bumblebee Spinning Wheel for $199.  Whoa! I thought I read the description and remembered from experience.....never buy the base model as soon as your skill level increases you'll want more features.  I am a crafter with an Etsy Shop and I try to support the indie crafter first, that's why I chose Bluebonnet.

Why the Bumble Bee Wheel?
-Price Point
-Support Indie Crafter
-Real Wood-Red Oak
-Foldable/Portable
-customizable whorls
-Quiet
-Sealed Bearings
-Double Treadle

For features such as: 2 Built In Lazy Kate,
Here are features that some of the more prominent Wheel provide on/with their models:
3 Bobbins
2 Whorls-6:1 8:1
Delta Orafice
Quick Change Flyer


Ready to Purchase
I spend ALL DAY watching wheel videos.  I was ready to purchase.  After seeing the wheel on Etsy I began scouring the internet for more shopping choices mainly to see if I could find free shipping.  The Woolery had the wheel and Free Shipping....No Hassle Return Policy ......Ching!  I purchased the *unfinished"Honeybee Wheel and Spinning Oil.  I ordered from the Woolery on Sunday.  I was notified that the wheel would come from the builder in Texas.  The wheel arrived on Thursday....Hello FedEx!

The wheel was packaged carefully to ensure no damage.



Since I have never even seen a wheel up close I decided to assemble the wheel just to get the mechanics.  I recommend doing this so you can understand how it works.  Inspect your pieces for an tiny splinters I learned form my coworker that Red Oak is a dry wood and its just the nature of the wook.  So he recommended an emory board to solve that issue. This took about 30 minutes.
Here is my wheel assembled in the unfinished.  I wanted to share some close up pictures of the quality of the wheel before staining.  I think a wheel is an investment and I found very few videos showing the wheel.  
18 x 18 Base

Latch for folding


Engraved  logo's

How the Treadles are attached leather and screws

Felt Sliders underneath the base

Joins-is that what you call it?

Raw Edges





Sideview of Drive Wheel



Frontview of Drive Wheel with engraving

BackView of Drive Wheel




Side view of Scotch Tension

Front View of Scotch Tension


The Regular Flier-arrived with fiber on it as the builder tests the wheel before shipping, that's a plus!

Assemble Instructions, bobbins, footmen, bits and pieces

I am very pleased with the quality and craftsmanship of my new wheel.  Oh I must name her but that will come later.  Next adventure finishing the wheel...stay tuned.

Toodles!
Emonie











2 comments:

  1. I got my bumble on eBay . It looks like it may be a earlier model. The peddles are a little shakey, they just have a leather strap on the peddles. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this problems?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much was it retail? Do you like spinning on it? I’m looking at a used one for $309 and wondering if it’s a good buy.

    ReplyDelete